Back to the Productivity Dictionary
a. Percolating is the action of filtering gradually through a collection or substance.
b. Percolating is the essential second step in the creative process.
Creative work requires three legitimate steps:
- Taking in information — observation — idea-gathering.
- Giving our brains time to filter, sort, analyze, connect what we’ve taken in.
- Creating, building, from what we’ve gained internally.
- anything that allows you to stop pulling information in and focus on something entirely different: bath, walk, bed, gym, chores, sports, gardening, etc. Something physical works best, a routine task. Housework is great. Cooking, chopping vegetables, sweeping the floor. Leisure stuff is great. Playing ball outside with the kids, laying in the hammock, taking a walk.
- limiting the mental input during this time (i.e. listen to music, not podcasts; soak in the bath, don’t read in the bath…).
- relaxing, focusing on what you’re doing, and letting your brain subconsciously sort through all that inflow.