1. Not all work is important work, but it’s easy to waste your time on details. Learn about the difference between deep work and shallow work. Focus on the deep work. Limit the shallow work. Say no to wasting time on details.
2. Organization doesn’t matter as much as action. Say no to busy work that keeps you from taking action.
3. You are your own greatest enemy. Say no to new work when you need to. You know when you need to. New ideas, new projects, new opportunities. Starting is easier than getting through the middle and all the way to the end.
4. The world keeps turning and will expect you to keep up. Say no to unimportant stuff that gets thrown at you. Say no to time-wasters. What do you need to know about? What’s your field? What’s your expertise? What feeds your creativity? Keep up with that. Let trivia be trivia. Ignore it.
5. The rest of your life still exists. Sometimes you need to walk away from the work. Say no to becoming too focused on work. It will always be there. You can always come back to it. Don’t forget that you are a whole person. Feed your soul and care for your body and build good relationships and you will do better work.